Ditch the bread and keep your energy high with these plant-based, gluten-free deliciously prepared summer veggies. They are so easy to make and healthy for you…need I say more?
Choose either one of these two chickpea-based recipes below, prepare the sauce, and use either collard greens or romaine for your green wrap. Perfect for a bright and filling lunch!
Chickpea Sandwich Spread
- 1 can chickpeas, drained, rinsed, dried, and mashed
- 1 small red onion, minced
- 1 medium size carrot, finely chopped
- 1 medium size celery stalk, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp. each of garlic powder, celery salt, and black pepper
Instructions: Blend all ingredients with two huge dollops of vegan mayo to desired consistency.
Zatar Roasted Chickpeas
- 1 can chickpeas, drained, rinsed, and dried well
- 2 Tbsp. Zatar seasoning (you can be generous as it is not a strong flavour)
- Drizzle of olive oil
Instructions: Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Transfer to baking tray, spread out and roast at 400°F for 30 minutes. Test to see if they are crispy, if not roast another 7-10 minutes.
Lemon Hummus Sauce
- ¼ cup hummus
- 4 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- Water as needed to thin sauce
Instructions: Whisk all ingredients till blended well with a the right consistency.
Lettuce Wrap Assembly
If using romaine lettuce, fill the lettuce boats with your choice of above chickpea recipe and then top with your favourite veggies, such as diced cucumber, tomato, red onion or radish.
If using collard greens , spoon the filling and add toppings. Wrap like a burrito or spring roll. Use the lemon hummus sauce for drizzling or dipping. Can also add more Zatar spice, if desired.
Collard Green Wraps
- Wash and rinse collard greens, trimming stem
- Blanche by boiling water in a pot, then immerse collard green leaf for 15 secs.
- Remove and dunk the greens immediately in bowl of very cold water
- Drain after cold bath and dry well
Romaine Lettuce Boats
Wash and spin lettuce till dry, leaving leaves whole