Ditch the bread and keep your energy high with these plant based, gluten-free deliciously prepared veggies. They are so easy to make and healthy for you, need I say more?
Below are 2 different chickpea recipes, along with 2 different kinds of greens to use as wraps:
Chickpea Sandwich Spread
- 1 can of drained chickpeas, drained, rinsed, dried and mashed
- 1 small red onion minced
- 1 med size carrot minced
- 1 med size celery stalk minced
- ¼ tsp garlic powder, celery salt and black pepper
Blend all ingredients with 2 huge dollops of vegan mayo or to desired consistency.
Zatar Roasted Chickpeas
- 1 can of drained chickpeas, drained, rinsed and dried well
- 2 Tbsp. Zatar Seasoning (you can be generous as it is not a strong flavour)
- Drizzle of oil
Combine all ingredients in a bowl, transfer to baking tray and roast at 400 degrees for 30 mins. Test to see if they are crispy, if not roast another 7-10 mins.
Lemon Hummus Sauce
- ¼ cup hummus
- 4 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- Water as needed to thin sauce
Whisk all ingredients till well blended and the right consistency.
Collard Green Wraps
- Wash and rinse Collard greens, trimming stem
- Boil water in a pot and immerse collard green leaf for 15 secs.
- Remove and dunk immediately in bowl of very cold water
- Drain after cold bath and dry well
Romaine Lettuce Boats
- Wash and spin lettuce till dry, leaving leaves whole
Assembly: Fill lettuce boats with your choice of chickpea recipe and then top with diced cucumber, tomato, red onion or radish, or any of your favorite veggies. For Collard Greens spoon filling and add toppings. Wrap like a burrito or spring roll. Use lemon hummus sauce for drizzling or dipping. Can also add more Zatar spice, if desired.